Friday, May 13, 2005

Free Parking is Dying


The last free parking in Uptown.
Originally uploaded by jseattle.
As the parking meter kiosks spread around town (they look like robot soldiers), the very few places to park for free are shrinking even more - this is bad. It basically forces people who live downtown to drive their cars to work every day, because without a spot in a garage, there is nowhere you can leave your car. Hard to reduce the traffic burden by taking the bus if you'll have a parking ticket waiting for you. No wonder people leave their cars in the free spots for so long. The last great stretch of free parking is right next to the soon-to-be sculpture park - clearly, it won't last.

- K

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm moving into a place on Western and Vine, it doesn't have its own lot, and I am really feeling the parking pinch. Obviously I can't be feeding the meter the entire time I live here. So far the only solution I've come up with is to park in some remote location like goddamn Fremont, and then take the goddamn bus downtown to where I goddamn live. But when that means 2.50 worth of bus fares, that's hardly cost effective either, with my come-and-go lifestyle. I'll try out this sculpture park stretch, but this sucks, we need a solution.