Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Starbucks business idea

Posting from the friendly neighborhood Starbucks today. One problem when you're 'working remotely' -- bio breaks. What do I do with my laptop, etc. when I need to visit the restroom (or WC as they like to call it in the old country)? Paranoidly pack it up? Go home? Is it a good idea to ask the guy at the next table to watch your stuff? He's been sitting there since before you came in 'reading' a placemat from McDonald's. Maybe the jerk behind this can add it to his service suite. (Man, we're crass -- must be jet lag.)

-- j

Tags: , , , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The New York Times Magazine's Ethicist has guidance about watching someone else's stuff at a cafe [nyt] . Maybe it reveals my deep anti-homeless prejudices, but I prefer to assume that cafe patrons might be more trustworthy than members of the bumvertising staff. Actually, I just like to pretend that no one will steal my stuff at a cafe if I just cover my laptop with a spare newspaper while I make a break for the bathrooms. So far, it's been a pretty effective strategy.